Divorce is tough, but we are tougher. The foundation of our practice is and always has been family law. Over the years, our practice areas have expanded to include trusts and estates, corporate tax, adoption, mediation, entertainment law and more Our main office is located in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. We have additional offices in Rock Hill, South Carolina; Monroe, North Carolina; and in Cornelius, North Carolina.
The Bookkeeper is primarily responsible for accounts receivable and accounts payable, entering payments received, bank reconciliations, as well as trust accounting. This position reports directly to the Firm Administrator and collaborates with the Client Account Manager. The Bookkeeper must be comfortable working independently, managing competing priorities, proactive, meticulous, and have a sense of urgency.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of Interest on Lawyers’ Trust Accounts (IOLTA). Ensure firm’s compliance.
- Review and post journal entries. Perform monthly reconciliations.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of financial information on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, and other ad-hoc reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Prepare and enter daily payments to invoices, EFT transfers, invoices, and record deposits to appropriate general ledger accounts.
- Verify if expenses are billable to client.
- Enter client-related expenses via journal entry in preparation for billing.
- Processes employee reimbursements.
- Collect and enter W-9 information for approved vendors. Pay and track due dates for vendor invoices. Assist with the preparation of regulatory reporting (e.g., 1099’s), annually.
- Assist in the billing process, with other members of the accounting team. This includes the generation of pre-bills, editing the invoices, and sending final invoices to clients for all Sodoma Law locations.
- Perform trust accounting functions.
- Perform bank reconciliations for all Sodoma Law locations.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- 2-5 years of bookkeeping experience required.
- Computer skills: Must be adept in Microsoft Office365 applications, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook. Experience with Cosmolex is desired, but not required.
- Experience with Trust Accounting for law firms would be beneficial
- Previous experience working in a law firm is a plus.
- Customer Service: Works with customers (this includes internal and external audiences) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; is committed to providing quality service. Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Is committed to continuous improvement.
- Judgement: Makes well-reasoned and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available considerations and factors. Supports decisions or recommendations with accurate information or reasoning.
- Interpersonal Skills: Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; develops and maintains effective relationships with others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, persons who are differently-abled, and other individual differences.
- Teamwork: Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, and trust; fosters commitment and team spirit; works with others to achieve goals.
- Planning and Organizing: Establishes action plans for self to accomplish specific goals. Identifies need, arranges for, and obtains resources needed to accomplish own goals and objectives. Develops and uses tracking systems for monitoring own work progress. Effectively uses resources such as time and information. Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Communication: Clearly and concisely presents and expresses ideas and information appropriate to the audience, orally and in writing. Listens actively to what others are saying to achieve understanding. Shares information with others and facilitates the open exchange of ideas and information; is open, honest, and straightforward with others.
- Problem Solving: Identifies existing and potential problems or issues. Obtains relevant information about the problem or issue, including recognizing whether more information is needed. Objectively evaluates relevant information about the problem or issue. Identifies the specific cause of the problem or issue. Develops recommendations and evaluates alternative course of action, selects courses of action, and follows up.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, wellness incentive, 401k with an employer match, long-term and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, excellent working environment, PTO, and paid holidays. The work schedule is as follows: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.