Divorce is tough, but we are tougher. The foundation of our practice is and always has been family law. Over the years, our practice areas have expanded to include trusts and estates, corporate tax, adoption, mediation, entertainment law and more. Our main office is located in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. We have additional offices in Rock Hill, South Carolina; Monroe, North Carolina; and in Cornelius, North Carolina.
Our Paralegals are highly organized, handle pressure well, and understand the importance of deadlines. This position manages attorneys’ litigation calendars, drafts documents, prepares motions for filing, updates clients, maintains proper workflow, assists with billing invoices and distribution, and time entry, as well as the day-to-day operations of the law practice. Our ideal candidate must be comfortable working independently, managing competing priorities, be customer service-minded, proactive, a team player, and have a sense of urgency.
- Prepares and sends enclosure memos to clients
- Saves client documents and pleadings to file
- Prepares and files Certificates of Service to be filed with the Court
- Creates new client files (hard and electronic copies)
- Scans, saves, and files documents to client files
- Creates and updates Pleadings notebooks
- Assists with trial preparation; Assists with closing client files
- Updates calendar and schedule reminders
- Client filing; Name Changes; Hard file organization
- Draft correspondence to client
- Discovery: document production
- Discovery: Responses with objections
- Discovery: Organization and identifying missing documents
- Discovery: Rule 45 Letters
- Create and issue subpoenas
- Lawsuit and pleading service and notice
- Deposition scheduling and notice
- Analysis of evidence to create exhibits; Create demonstrative exhibits
- Marital asset/ debt spreadsheet
- Performs child support calculations
- Timely response of client inquiry (within the day or 24 hours)
- Tracks case management
- Organization of client documents or documents received by opposing party
- Prepares Financial Affidavit (short & long form)
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- 2 years of related experience required
- North Carolina Certified Paralegal highly desired
- Notary Public desired
- Customer Service: Works with customers (this includes internal and external audiences) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; is committed to providing quality service. Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Is committed to continuous improvement.
- Interpersonal Skills: Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; develops and maintains effective relationships with others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, persons who are differently-abled, and other individual differences.
- Teamwork: Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, and trust; fosters commitment and team spirit; works with others to achieve goals.
- Planning and Organizing: Establishes action plans for self to accomplish specific goals. Identifies need, arranges for, and obtains resources needed to accomplish own goals and objectives. Develops and uses tracking systems for monitoring own work progress. Effectively uses resources such as time and information. Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Communication: Clearly and concisely presents and expresses ideas and information appropriate to the audience, orally and in writing. Listens actively to what others are saying to achieve understanding. Shares information with others and facilitates the open exchange of ideas and information; is open, honest, and straightforward with others.
- Problem Solving: Identifies existing and potential problems or issues. Obtains relevant information about the problem or issue, including recognizing whether more information is needed. Objectively evaluates relevant information about the problem or issue. Identifies the specific cause of the problem or issue. Develops recommendations and evaluates alternative course of action, selects courses of action, and follows up.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment.
- Computer skills: Must be adept in Microsoft Office365 applications, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is a plus.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, wellness incentive, 401k with an employer match, long-term and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, excellent working environment, PTO, and paid holidays. The work schedule is as follows: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.